This range vent replaced an over the stove microwave. We purchased the home with that had the kitchen remodeled with the over the stove microwave, but the vent never really vented anything it had the worst suction ever. A youtube search for microwave vents had a video of a guy taking apart a microwave and showing the interior and how it vents out… horrible system. So finally after 2 years of smokey kitchens from frying foods we decided on getting rid of the microwave and put in a range vent.
I looked at a few different models on amazon. I wanted something with stainless steel baffles that were dishwasher safe. LED lighting was a plus, and something that looked nice. From what I was able to research fan CFM was sort of subjective depending on how you have your vent piped. So I took fan CFM rating with a grain of salt.
Others I looked at:
Went with the Tatsumaki because of the shorter height. I had mixed feelings on the digital display preferring physical buttons (one less thing to break) but the size of the hood won out.
Mine came with halogen lamps. I ordered AmazonBasics 50 Watt Equivalent, Daylight, Dimmable, GU10 LED Light Bulb – 2 Pack to replace the lamps that came with the hood. The rest of our kitchen lighting is 5000k the halogen lamps seemed to be in the 3000k range. The photos below show the halogen lamps. I’ll update later with the 5000k AmazonBasic lamps.
Fan noise is not to bad. Our old Samsung microwave vent was noisy as a jet engine and the Tatsumaki quieter even at full power.
We used the 6″ round adapter. Screwed approximately 12″ of sheet metal vent piping to the Tatsumaki adapter and then taped the connection up. Folded over the electrical wire and ran it through the vent hole piping hole in the cabinet.
We measured out the screw placements and got the screws started. We were pretty close on two of them, but the wall wasn’t perfectly flat so that threw off the other two screws. With two screws in the correct position we were able to rescrew the others. On one of them we used a 1″ washer with a small 1/4″ opening… this gave the screw more holding power on the vent. If you make a mistake in lining up your screws this could be a possible fix.
A long Phillips screw driver is necessary for the back screws. My 6″ screw driver wasn’t very helpful, luckily my co-installer had a long 10″ screwdriver that made the install so much easier.
This is definitely a 2 man job. We moved the stove out of the way to make things easier.
We tested the vent the first night on something that would normally smoke up the kitchen. The Tatsumaki handled it effectively. We purposely used the front burner and with the vent on high there was no smokey kitchen and no lingering smells afterwards. I would say this fan really sucks (in a good way).